Monday, August 4, 2008

Fun Take Two: Woonsocket


I have heard about this place for ages. I finally conned someone to drive me to Wright’s Dairy Farm. Which you know is authentic cause it has a website. It technically is in North Smithfield, but that means little to me.

It is a small scale Dairy Farm that makes most from the Bakery attached to the farm. Inside is dairy bomb after dairy bomb. In addition, sales people with the disposition of camp counselors-young, peppy and vaguely entertained by our not-from-around here antics.

I was with a lactose intolerant, so I ate most of the glory.
I had what they termed a small cream puff. I had to open my mouth as if I was at the Dentist.




I had some Coffee Milk, cause its Rhode Island. Made with whole Milk-so its totally good.


I went back for a bag of Hermits cause while waiting for the bathroom, I read an article that they were on the food network, and I am a sucker.
They were good by they had nonhippy-hydrogenated oil, a dairy farm that does not use butter is sketchy.
I also bought a Napoleon, but I could not do it by myself and ate it a couple days later.




Nevertheless, it smelled authentically like poop. We nosed around a bit and met these fine ladies.



In the maternity ward. They were very pregnant and very uncomfortable, they snorted and just seemed so ungodly huge, with their spindly little legs and couch potato attitude. We were charmed bye them and half convinced they were going to give birth right then so we started at them for awhile, they did not give birth so we content ourselves at cooing at the new calves who were only a few weeks old and again, ungodly huge.


When they calves get a little bigger they stay in these igloos, which is what you see when you drive up. We kinda thought that they were icky veal containers, but they are kinda like nonmobile RV’s for little cows.



They do the milking from 3-5. You are invited to watch. We had other adventures to get to.



NEXT STOP
The Museum of Work and Culture
in DT Woonsocket

The museum is an experiential museum, which means it is kinda like you are in a large diorama, sometimes surrounded by freaky life-sized figures. As an amateur student, I am always interested in learning more about the history surrounding me. And the museum has a very specific subject the experience of the French Canadians who immigrated to work in the textile mills in Woonsocket. From the late 1800’s until the 1930’s. What me and the companion were most interested in was the history of the textile unions vs. the Catholic Church/the Mill Management. (People got excommunicated for striking!)
The museum presents the concerns of all three sides. Sheesh! Life is/was hard.


There even is a Catholic School Memory Archive, where anyone who has ever attended a Catholic School can add their 2 cents. If my mom ever gets wind of this they are gonna have to add a new wing for all she’s got to say.

They also recreated the UTI union hall which is so creepy accurate, I swear I could smell old man bouncing off the faux-asbestos tiles and wood paneling.


Things we didn’t get a chance to see/enjoy

-the Ye Olde Fish Shop

1 comment:

MCH said...

Coffee milk! I would totally caffeinate a cow and keep it awake for days just to taste the sweet wholesome taste of coffee milk....